Over at McCain 08 website I clicked on the “Issues” tab and was surprised to see the category “Human Dignity”. This seems like “touchy-feely” liberal category to me, so I’m seriously wondering what it could be about. I know McCain’s a maverick so who knows. Maybe it’s about
- establishing equal access to healthcare so that some of our fellow citizens don’t have to beg for it—or not receive it at all.
- using public policy to establish broad middle class so that families don’t borrow themselves into oblivion trying to keep up.
- using public policy to restore a broad middle class so that the average guy can support a family of four–like his father did.
- Maybe he’s in favor of a Basic Income Policy
- Maybe he wants to apologize for the history of his party in opposing child labor laws, the Civil Rights Act, Medicare, Social Security, and minimum wage laws.
As it turns out Maverick McCain doesn’t mention any of these. His #1 Human Dignity agenda item is overturning Roe v. Wade and “returning the abortion question to the states”. After that he wants to “end abortion at at the state level”. As to how that will be accomplished–he’s a bit fuzzy on details (“To effect meaningful change, we must engage the debate at a human level.” ).
Presumably he doesn’t want to lock up women and doctors—that would be undignified. Then again the back-alley, black-market in abortions that would inevitably develop doesn’t sound too dignified either.